MINING OPERATIONS SUSPENDED AT WANDERER MINE
Written by carol phiri on January 11, 2019
The government has ordered a temporarily shut down of mining operations at Wanderer Mine in Shurugwi for safety reasons, after part of the mine collapsed recently.
Midlands Provincial Affairs Minister Larry Mavhima told the media that safety measures should be put in place first before operations resume. When asked about the current situation he had the following to say, “As far as I am concerned right now I am very much inclined to put the burden on all the parties to cease fire right now until people get together and agree on how we are going to operate from now on”
Midlands Provincial Mining Director Nelson Munyanduri echoed the same sentiments and added that the current operations at Wanderer are dangerous due to artisanal miners’ activities of blasting independently which result in the creation of pillars which would then be mined by other artisanal miners henceforth resulting in the mine being unstable.
Meanwhile, Artisanal Miners operating at Wanderer mines said they welcome the move to re-organise mining operations, and they are grateful for the consideration which the Minister has shown for them in urging them to stop their operations and they are willing to cooperate in deciding the way forward in accordance to Ministry Of Mines regulations.
A shaft collapsed at Wanderer mine last week, with the police confirming that no lives had been lost and no one had been injured. Wanderer Mine is operated by four groups, Falcon Gold, tributaries, Independent miners and illegal miners.